Ghana is a West African coastal nation bordered on the south by the Gulf of Guinea (Atlantic), on the west by Cote d'Ivoire, on the north by Burkina Faso and Togo on the east. It is roughly the size of the state of Oregon (area approximately 92,000 square miles).
The area consists of low plains on the Atlantic coast, a northern plateau from the western border to the Volta river basin in the center of the country, and mountainous uplands on the east.
Ghana Historical Timeline
- 1492 - Portuguese establish trading settlement
- 1874 - British Crown Colony (coastal region)
- 1957 - Independence from Great Britain
- 1960 - Declared Republic
- 1966 - President Nkrumah era
- 1979 - President Rawlings era (by coup)
- 2000 - President John Kufor era
- 2007 - Major offshore oil reserves announced